Iron County Sheriffs Office:
The Iron County Sheriff's Office is responsible for maintaining the peace and protecting the citizens of Iron County. As the county and Cedar City have grown, the duties of the Sheriff's Office have increased. As a result, court decisions, administrative procedures, and requirements of the laws have brought about sophisticated and technical advancements to law enforcement. This allows for the Sheriff's Office to keep crime levels at a low, making Cedar City a great place to start a business, raise and family, and be part of an ever expanding community.
Visit the Iron County Sheriff's Office by clicking here.
The Iron County Jail is located within Cedar City at 2136 N Main St, Cedar City, UT 84721 in the same building as the Iron County Sheriffs Department.
The Iron County Jail meets its public safety mission by:
1. Provide secure housing for:
- pretrial detainees and other un-sentenced inmates awaiting judicial actions
- inmates convicted of misdemeanor offenses
- convicted felons
- juveniles detained as a result of orders from juvenile court
- other persons as required by state law
2. Preventing inmates from escaping the facility or during transport by facility staff
3. Implementing policies and procedures designed to prevent inmate violence, and to respond decisively in those situations when violence does occur
4. Providing care and services necessary to meet the basic needs of those incarcerated
In 2012, the crime rates for Cedar City are well below the national average. According to city-data.com, Cedar City has a crime rate index of 208 crimes per 100,000 people. The national average is 301 crimes per 100,000. To see all the statistics, click here.