2023 Notice of Election
Notice is hereby given that Cedar City will hold a 2023 municipal election to elect four-year terms for the following: three (3) Council Members.
Given a sufficient number of candidates, a primary election will be held on August 15, 2023, with the municipal general election being held on November 7, 2023.
QUALIFICATIONS TO BE A MUNICIPAL CANDIDATE:
(Utah Code §10-3-301, Utah Code §20A-9-203)
- Registered voter in the municipality in which the individual is elected*
- Must have resided within the municipality for which the candidate is seeking office for the 12 consecutive months immediately before the date of the election.
- Maintain a principal place of residence within the municipality.
- If the individual resides in a territory which was annexed into the municipality: must have resided within the annexed territory or the municipality the 12 consecutive months immediately before the date of the election.
- Pay filing fee, if one is required by municipal ordinance
- Not convicted of a felony, treason, or crime relating to elections**
- Cannot have been declared mentally incompetent
* Utah Code §20A-2-101 states: A registered voter (1) is a citizen of the United States; (2) is a resident of Utah; (3) will, on the date of that election, be at least 18 years old, (4) has been a resident of Utah for 30 days immediately before that election; (5) and is registered to vote.
** Utah Code §20A-2-101.5 states: A person convicted of a felony loses the right to hold office until (1) all felony convictions have been expunged, OR (2) ten years have passed since the most recent felony conviction AND the person has paid all court-ordered restitution and fines AND the person has completed probation, been granted parole, or completed the term of incarceration associated with the felony.
The filing period is during regular office hours (Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) June 1 through June 7, 2023. All candidates for election are subject to campaign financial statement disclosure regulations. A qualified candidate may file a Declaration of Candidacy with the City Recorder, 10 North Main Street, Cedar City.