About the Cedar City Flag Redesign Project (2023)
Initiated by the Cedar City Youth Council in 2023, the youth council members were inspired by the Utah State Flag Redesign project and the impact it had across the state. Utah residents across all counties came together to design, select, and adopt a new flag. The youth council members discovered Cedar City's current city flag and recognized that it could better represent the unique and timeless character of our community. With little to no historical information about the city's flag before 2023, we are now embarking on a Flag Redesign Project in the form of a community contest and are accepting designs from Cedar City residents. A committee will narrow down the submissions, pass their recommendations to the City Council, and anticipate it to be adopted at a City Council meeting in November 2023. The artist of the selected design* will be awarded $250.
- Only one design submission per person
- Open to all ages
- Must follow guidelines and criteria
- If a flag design is chosen, the artist understands the copyright will belong to the city*
- Artist understands their design may be altered by a professional graphic designer, if needed
- The committee has the right to divide prize money if two designs are top contenders.
- Submit your flag design & flag description by Friday, September 15, 2023 to: email@example.com (must be in PDF, JPG, or PNG format)
Design Guidelines & Criteria:
- Must include "Cedar City", can also include "Festival City, USA" in the design
- Must only use approved city colors (see below)
- Must symbolize unique characteristics and the timeless nature of Cedar City with simple shapes (no photos/images)
- Cannot include non-city logos in the design
- Design must include an attached description of the symbolism & thought behind the flag